BELTON - The City of Belton has agreed to transfer 74 acres to the Belton Economic Development Corporation (BEDC), which will be free to develop the area in any way that promotes a public purpose.
Located at 1742 Taylors Valley Rd., the property is the former site of the Rockwool Industries Plant.
An additional 20 acres on the property will be used for expanding the wastewater plant that is being built to serve both Temple and Belton.
The land has been appraised at about $910,000. BEDC could use the land as a recycling operation or a Belton ISD maintenance facility, among other options.
The now-defunct Rockwool Industries operated on the property from the mid-1950s until 1987 and produced household insulation. The plant also produced a waste material commonly called “slag” that was deposited along the Leon River as well as between Taylors Valley Road and FM 93. The Environmental Protection Agency spent $18 million to clean the site of hazardous materials and prepare the land for other uses.
Our twice-weekly e-newsletter provides a quick overview of Texas real estate markets. Because your time is valuable.