TEXAS – Texas Independence Day was celebrated March 2, 2017. Texas is now 181 years old.
Here's a recap sample of the 181 things we love about Texas, according to Dave Thomas of the Austin American-Statesman. (Coworkers and Facebook friends also pitched in.)
1. Willie Nelson.
2. Real barbecue. Spelled with a “c,” of course, because the c stands for “cow.”
30. Playing dominoes with old men.
43. Cowboys. Real cowboys.
44. Cowboy hats for everybody! Even fake cowboys!
55. Chuck Norris. If a tree falls in the forest, does anybody hear? Yes. Chuck Norris hears it. Chuck Norris can hear everything. Chuck Norris can hear the shrieking terror in your soul.
56. Tommy Lee Jones. Are you going to tell him different?
59. Friendly strangers. Even when they don't think you're packing a pistol.
86. Farm-to-Market roads where the pickups that pass you all give a friendly wave.
105. How the desert smells when it rains.
106. Horny Toads. Just how cool they are. Not how they smell.