HOUSTON – The retail development boom—including grocery stores, big-box retailers and other major projects—shows no sign of slowing down this year.
That is up 9.2 percent from the 4.5 million completed in 2016 and the largest figure the Houston area has seen since 2008.
New grocery stores planned for 2017 include:
• Kroger: six more 123,000-sf prototype MarketPlace stores
• H-E-B: three more 100,000-sf stores and one Joe V’s Smart Shop
• Aldi: ten more 19,000-sf stores
• Walmart: one neighborhood supermarket
Other major big box stores planned for 2017:
• Walmart: three super stores
• Target: two super stores
• Costco: a new 150,000-sf store
• At Home: three 100,000-sf stores
• Total Wine: six stores between 25,000 and 35,000 sf
• Lowes: two new stores
• Home Depot: one new store