SAN ANTONIO - San Antonio International Airport lands some summer bragging rights over its in-state competitors just as the travel season heats up.
NerdWallet has ranked the Alamo City facility No. 8 on its list of best U.S. airports for summer travelers.
Austin-Bergstrom International Airport is next-best in the Lone Star State, but will have to settle for a No. 15 ranking.
The news is less flattering for travel industry promoters in Dallas and Houston, which have earned their respective spots on NerdWallet’s worst U.S. airports for summer travel list.
NerdWallet analyzed data from 4.7 million flights in June, July and August for 2013 through 2015 to identify the 50 best U.S. airports for summer travel.
San Antonio International received high marks for its low percentage of flight delays and U.S. Customs wait times.
According to the data, less than 1 percent of the summer flights at San Antonio International were canceled during the period studied.
Here are the top ten best U.S. airports for summer travel (be sure to go to the bottom of the page).
1. Honolulu International Airport
2. John Wayne Airport
3. Norman Y. Mineta San Jose International Airport
4. Seattle-Tacoma International Airport
5. San Diego International Airport
6. Salt Lake City International Airport
7. Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport
8. San Antonio International Airport
9. Portland International Airport
10. Oakland International Airport