KINGSVILLE - A new Recreational Sports facilities project at Texas A&M University-Kingsville will add nearly 20 new facilities, fostering a sense of community at the growing campus.
The Texas A&M University System Board of Regents approved construction on the $7 million project.
Students approved a referendum to fund future maintenance of the facilities earlier in April 2016.
Construction is set to begin in June 2016.
The project will add the following:
- eight National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA) regulation tennis courts
- six NCAA beach volleyball courts
- two intramural softball fields
- two intramural soccer/flag football fields
- one intramural cricket oval
The new beach volleyball courts will serve the newly added NCAA Beach Volleyball program.
With the addition of the NCAA tennis courts, the eight-member Javelina Tennis team will be able to host home games and tournaments. Currently, the 44-year-old tennis courts available on campus are not suitable for NCAA games.
The new fields will be located on Seale St. and W. Corral Ave., near the northwest side of campus.